Friday, May 16, 2014

Swaddle?!

Okay, for about the past month, Avery has been such an unpredictable sleeper.
There are times she may go four hours without waking,
but lately it has been every hour at least a couple times at night.
We have tried several things to keep her sleeping at night
but she often fusses and won't go back to sleep 
without extensive intervention on our part :)

So, I go to these websites that give you all the advice
on how to keep your baby sleeping and it seems we tried most.
The main thing was: try to figure out WHY your baby 
isn't sleeping or what causes her to fuss.
Hmm...ya, not so easy!
paci? no paci?
wanna rock? wanna be still?
too hot? too cold? 
too noisy? too quiet?
too hungry? too full?
too dark? too light?
too long of walk back to the crib from the living room?
too creaky of a floor?

So, I was really trying to think, what CAUSES her
not to fall back asleep? 
Well, I suddenly realized (DUH!) that she often gets
really upset in the middle of the night because she
tries to eat her fists! OF COURSE!
More often than not, when I (or Steve) go in,
she is getting mad at her own hand!

Okay, I thought, maybe I should try to swaddle her 
WITH HER ARMS IN!
So, I tried it for her nap.
It should also be noted that she is notorious for the
"45 minute intruder" nap.
(meaning she sleeps fine for about 45 minutes but
she doesn't transition well into her next phase of sleep,
for whatever reason, causing her to wake up,
and usually not refreshed)

So, like I said I tried it for her afternoon nap yesterday.
Why not? I have nothing to lose!
And I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!
She slept in her crib, swaddled with arms in for
THREE HOURS!
I actually went in to wake her since I was a bit worried!
Wow! Was that a fluke? Was she just really tired
from the crappy night before?

So, I tried it last night! And it worked, too!
She slept for 5 1/2 hours the first chunk,
then 4 hours, then 3 hours!
She went right back to sleep after her feedings.
No swaying,
no patting
no paci,
no late night prayers, 
no getting Steve up because I had enough!
Just peaceful sleep! AHHHH, bliss!
I went in her room to get her up in the morning
and she was cooing and smiling, no crying at all!

Now, this could be a fluke, by my oh my was it 
WONDERFUL! Let's hope it continues!
And why in the world had I not thought of this months ago!?






No comments:

Post a Comment