Sunday, May 24, 2015

Chipmunk in the House!

(LONG STORY - sorry :))

I feel as this is a repeat of what happened a few months ago 
with the mouse in the house
but this time it was a CHIPMUNK 
and the story is even a bit more dramatic,
 since the chipmunk was alive and spunky, instead of half dead!

It was Sunday after lunch.
Actually it was somewhat of a bad lunch in the fact
that Avery did NOT want to eat anything and was throwing a fit
and Aubrey kept wanting to play pretend family 
and I was sick of it!
I told Steve to take the girls and play in the living room
while I cleaned up lunch.
For some reason I was just in a bad mood
and the girls were making matters worse,
so a little alone time cleaning up was much welcomed.
I was just sweeping up the mess of lunch that was still on the floor 
when Steve calmly walks in with both girls.

"Don't freak out but I just saw a chipmunk in our house."
WHAT?! 
"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!
WHAT? A chipmunk?!"
He says yah, or maybe a ground hog!
I immediately get ticked!
I already was in a bad mood and now I just
can't handle this!

So, what are we supposed to do - where did it go?
WHY IS IT INSIDE OUR HOUSE?!
So I wanted to just go run down stairs and hide
BUT Steve was yelling at me that I had to help.
I AM NOT GOING TO HELP!
Are you kidding me?!
I've got two crying girls and me makes 3
so I need to go hide.

That's when Steve got upset!
He raised his voice, "You NEED to help! So, I KNOW
he went behind the TV so STAND THERE and KEEP AN EYE ON IT!
And make sure you watch where it goes!"

That's why I lost it - are you serious?!
I am not going to keep guard of the rodent while he devises a maze
to corral him out the door! NO WAY!
I said NO...but I lost. He made me! 

So I got out a chair and stood on the chair in the dining room
(just barely keeping an eye on it)
holding Avery and yelling at Aubrey to get out of the way.
Aubrey was getting scared so I told her to stand and keep guard too.
This was ridiculous!
Why wasn't I making a trap and STEVE guarding it so he could 
whack it when it would come out!
What was I going to do?!
Run away and say HEY he's getting away?!

Meanwhile Steve is rearranging the WHOLE HOUSE
to try to trap it and guide it to the outside.
COME ON!
It had been several minutes when the nasty little critter
comes barreling out of the corner and crawls right under my chair.
I scream and make a bee line to the kitchen with Avery
and leave Aubrey in the dining room bawling!
I asked her if she saw it and she said 
in between sobs, YES - he's over there!
And now all 3 of us are on a chair in the kitchen practically crying!

Where is Steve...still devising a plan and frantically running around. OH. MY!

That's when Steve was smart and told us to go hide downstairs!
THANK YOU! FINALLY!
So, here were are again (just like the mouse incident last time)
hiding on the couch, under a blanket, reading books and
listening CAREFULLY to the banging going on upstairs!
YIKES!
Of course the book Avery chose to read was all about animals.
There were all sorts of critters and Aubrey cries,
"Is that what's upstairs?!" - a chinchilla...nope!
"Is THAT what's upstairs?!" - a guinea pig...nope!
Meanwhile I hear running and whacking and running
and then a door slam.
Aubrey makes the comment that "Daddy is sure brave.
Thank goodness we have a brave Daddy!"
I agree, Aubrey, Daddy IS brave.
We freeze...."I GOT HIM IN THE GARAGE!" yells Steve!
PRAISE THE LORD!
About 30 minutes from the first announcement that we have a runaway critter
we feel relieved....somewhat. We hope there was only one!

I ask Steve to retell what was happening while we were hiding! 
I was right, he was in the dining room 
and he went back and forth in those corners a bit
before trying to climb up the basement shutter doors.
Steve said the little guy was jumping up and trying to get downstairs.
OH MY! If he would've come downstairs, I WOULD HAVE DIED!
OR SOMEONE else may have ;)
Steve then whacked him off the door and it rounded the corner
and Steve whacked it a few more times and out the door it went!
HMMMPPHH!
What an ordeal! I guess his maze worked. He went right on out
with some force. 

Why do these ridiculous things always happen to us?!
The unsettling thing is we really don't know how it got in.
We had the screen door open and we know he lives under the deck
but still, not sure.
So, we had to google "chipmunk" to show Aubrey closely
what was really roaming around un-welcomed in our house.
THEN, of course I made Steve search the upper level
with a flash light to make sure there wasn't anymore in hiding.
There wasn't. 
THANK GOODNESS.

Then, we all took a nice long nap :)



1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Thanks for the good laugh! You are such a great story teller!!

    ReplyDelete