Thursday, August 11, 2016

A Batty Night!

It was about 4:30 in the morning and I just couldn't get back to sleep.
All night I heard noises that I thought were the girls
messing around or fussing in their rooms.
I kept hearing noises.
It sounded liked Avery was in my room messing around
or it almost sounded liked it was raining on the window.
I looked on my phone to see if it was raining and it wasn't
and the noise kept on.

Finally, I yelled at Steve to TURN ON THE LIGHT!
This usually happens on any given night
and are often just my hallucinations or dreams
that are not really a reality!
He didn't want to turn on the light since he was in his
sleep stupor that is slow to understand and often cranky. 
At this point I was yelling,
THERE IS SOMETHING IN THIS ROOM!
TURN ON THE LIGHT RIGHT NOW!
To get me to stop, he finally turned on the light!
He says, SEE, THERE IS NOTHING IN HERE!
I say, BE QUIET...THERE IS! 
I thought it was a bird making some squeaking 
and scratching noises.
And then it SWOOPED right at our heads!
A BAT!
That sent me stright to mummy mode.
I hid myself under the covers
and made sure there was not a piece of my body exposed!
I can't see what is happening and I just hear Steve 
say YUP, IT'S A BAT!
After about a minute, the bat left our room!

At that point I am sweating my butt off
since I am totally under all the covers and can't breathe!
I tell Steve to GET UP, SHUT THE DOORS
and GO KILL IT!
Steve isn't too fond of bats but knew he had better step up.
He was just waking from his deep sleep
and realized he better be the hero or his wife just might freak!

I shut my door and hoped for the best!
I start to hear doors slamming and heard him go and get 
the all important tool in combating a bat - a tennis racket!
I hear him running around and then a few whacks!
He quickly comes in to confirm - he GOT IT!

Ahhh, what in the world?!
Why do these creatures keep insisting on making their way
into our house...better yet, WHERE?
(such as chimpmunks, mice and now bats)

Steve rehashes the story and says that he closed all the doors
and got it in the dining and kitchen room and starts swinging.
It apparently swooped a few times and WHACK - he got it!
He tried to locate where it landed 
but he said the bat's teeth were open and its head got stuck between 
the threads - EWWW! So nasty, so it was stuck on the racket until morning.

It was finally at that point, where I told Steve he needed to say
YOU WERE RIGHT! GOOD LISTENING!
Steve said that we need to have a watch dog that would alert us
to these crazy creatures in our house.
I said we do not, I AM THE WATCHDOG - 
I HEAR EVERYTHING!
It's true...I am a light sleeper and it's a good thing
for instances such as this!

Thankfully the girls were blissfully unaware and stayed sleeping
until the morning and didn't know anything had happened.
Me, on the other hand, I was awake for the next hour
still quite shaken from our stupid encounter.
So annoying!!



2 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that the bat did not join you under the covers (as it is dark there). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horrifying! I still love your stories. Lol! And I just want to say, you are a much better watchdog than our dog. He slept blissfully unaware of a couple similar instances involving a mouse and a vole in our bedroom. You just have to keep moving until you escape the little critters. Lol.

    ReplyDelete