Monday, December 8, 2014

Mouse!

I CANNOT believe I am actually admitting this to the world,
but we had our FIRST MOUSE EVER in this house on Saturday!
It has been 2 1/2 blissful years of mouse-free-ness and WHAM
my hopes of never having to deal with a mouse again, have been shattered!

Here is the scenario:
It's Saturday morning and I have a LOT of wash/laundry to do.
Aubrey likes to come down and play while I am transitioning
the loads and folding and there are a lot of toys/things down there!
Avery was upstairs playing for a bit.
I was getting ready to head upstairs again and Aubrey says,
"Mommy, look at that...it's a....!"
I didn't even let her finish her sentence, since I saw!
And that's when I screamed, dropped the laundry,
grabbed her and ran up the stairs!
At first I wasn't sure what it was.
It couldn't POSSIBLY be a mouse - we don't have those in Oskaloosa! ;)
ARE YOU SERIOUS!?
I look closer, and there, on Steve's over-sized NFL football pillow
is a little MOUSE curled up and still!
Okay, now thoughts are going through my head...
Is it dead?
Why isn't it moving?
Maybe it's not really a mouse?
But it looks furry?
What?
Ewwww!

PANIC ENSUES!

I still have laundry on the floor and now Aubrey is 
screaming and crying since I scared the craopla out of her!
We go upstairs and I try to calm her down but she just keeps crying,
"My Dora things are downstairs!
What was it!? Was it a mouse? Is it a hamster?
Is it dead? Are my toys dead? I want DADDY!"
Me, too sweetie, I want Daddy RIGHT NOW.

So, I call him.
Thankfully, thankfully, it was a Saturday and he had just
left to do his morning interview with the radio and was running a couple errands.
I call him immediately, "STEVE! We have a huge emergency and you need to 
COME HOME RIGHT NOW!"
I wasn't joking. We needed Daddy asap!
And he came.

We were a bit confused why it didn't move amidst all of the 
screaming and crying and possibly "naughty words" from Mommy.
I told him where it was and Avery, Aubrey and I hid upstairs.
I told Steve I *think* it was dead, so get the broom and sweep it up and get rid of it!
BUT...
as we are hiding on the couch under the covers, we hear SMACKING!
Oh no! It sounds like Daddy is whacking the broom to kill the critter,
Whack! Whack! Whack!
I am yelling down, "Is it still alive?! What is going on?! Do NOT let it get away!"
Aubrey: "Waaaah, I want my Dora things!"
Finally, silence and Daddy comes up with the creepy little thing and disposes of it outside,

Oh. My. Word.
It was still alive?! Well, we figured that it was a little critter (yes, a mouse) who had came
in from outside and had eaten some poison from the garage and was dying.
Steve said it didn't move fast, but slowly and squeaking!
EWWW! Did not need to know that!
He also made the comment that, "You should feel sorry for it since
it was dying and our house was like the Comfort House.
He just needed a warm, place to die."
Are you kidding me - that is not comforting to me!
Ewww!

Needless to say, I have been terrified to go downstairs each time
now for the past 48 hours and I have had to go down a lot.
I need to change laundry, get things from the frig/freezer, or take a shower!
 Ugh, I guess I need to be brave, like Aubrey says.
I may have encouraged Aubrey to come down with me and to go first
so SHE could check it out first - I was totally using her! 

But being brave is NOT always fun, in fact, it stinks!
I have not stopped thinking about the traumatic experience,
in fact, even last night, I even dreamed about mice!
Let's hope it was a fluke thing, but I am not so sure it was. 


2 comments:

  1. Jen,
    Kailey and I are sorry to hear about your devastating experience, but we thank you so much for sharing because we both were in need of a good laugh (till we had tears streaming down our faces). We think Steve needs a Super Hero cape. And Aubs, too, since she is your scout. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny!!! Sorry about the mouse! :)

    ReplyDelete